Until yesterday chile con queso was the only “dish” that had ever been cooked in my crock pot. My sister is a huge fan of crock pot meals and she and her college roommates are constantly coming up with great recipes. I wasn’t quite aware that you could cook anything but pot roast (which I don’t like) in a crock pot so when my mom emailed me this recipe I was excited to try it!
My mom and sister had already made it so they were able to give me some good tips on how to make it better and adjust the recipe. (The recipe below includes the changes we made.) The only prep work involved was to get the beans soaking in water the night before and less than five minutes of throwing everything else together in the morning before work!
The crock pot mixture turned out fabulously and it made the whole apartment smell amazing! We put the chicken and beans on soft tacos with cheese and Mexican rice but there are tons of options on how to serve it. The best part about for me is I have leftovers for the rest of the week! Today for lunch I made a taco salad with my leftovers. It was deli-sh!
Crock Pot Black Bean Chicken Recipe
- Slow Cooker
- 3 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen
- 1 can Black Beans
- 1/2 Packet of Taco Seasoning
- 1 can Diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel tomatoes work great.)
- Optional: Mexican Rice, Tortillas, Shredded Cheese
- Put black beans in bottom of crock-pot.
- Place frozen chicken on top of beans.
- Sprinkle with taco seasoning. (Use as much or as little as you want, according to your taste.)
- Pour can of tomatoes with juice over chicken.
- Cook 8-10 hours on low.
- Shred chicken with fork and stir with beans and tomatoes.
- Serve with rice and make into tacos, or make a chicken salad!
I’d really recommend trying this recipe. It is quick, easy, healthy, and inexpensive to boot!
Do you have any favorite crockpot meals I should try? If so, contact me or post a comment with the recipe below!