I try my hardest to not keep candy around the house, but when it comes to Christmas, I simply can’t resist. Hershey’s Kisses, M&Ms, Andes Mints and Reeses Pieces are a few of my favorite treats to keep in the candy jar during the holidays. Oh, and candy canes, of course!
This year, my new favorite candy treat is the perfect combination of salty and sweet, mixing pretzels with Hershey’s kisses and festive M&Ms. I originally saw the idea for this sweet treated used for Valentines Day on the blog g*rated. Since then, I’ve made them for several other holidays, including Halloween and Thanksgiving.
This time, instead of using Hershey’s Hugs (the black and white striped cousin of the Kiss), I found these yummy and festive peppermint kisses. The red and white stripes were the perfect seasonal update to the snack.
Beware: this snack is absolutely addictive. You seriously cannot eat just one. But worry not, it’s still December and those New Years resolutions don’t kick in until the first!
Christmas-Inspired Pretzel & Chocolate Button Bites
- 1 bag Snyder's Butter Snaps
- 2 bags Peppermint Hershey's Kisses
- 1 bag Christmas colored M&Ms
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Lay the butter snaps out into rows, leaving space between the pretzels to prevent them from melting together.
- Add a peppermint kiss to the top of each pretzel.
- Put the cookie sheet into the oven for 3-5 minutes. The kisses should get warm, but you should take them out before they start melting and losing their shape.
- Remove the sheet from the oven and immediately press green M&Ms into the kisses.
- Before removing from the tray, allow the bites to harden. It helps to put them into the refrigerator for 20 minutes or so.
- You can use regular pretzels instead of the butter snaps, but I have found that the butter snaps taste better and since their holes are smaller, easier to manage with melted kisses.
- Instead of setting the oven timer and walking away, keep an eye on the snack as it bakes. It’s pretty easy to tell when you should take them out if you keep an eye on them.
- The peppermint kisses took a little less time to melt than the hugs usually do. More on the 3 side of 3 to 5 minutes.