If you know me, you know I love a good deal. And if I have the chance to DIY something to save a few dollars, I’m all in! That’s where this story begins.
Just before Memorial Day I saw an Instagram photo from FashionableHostess with a patriotic tablescape featuring some adorable patriotic pom napkin rings. I love a good pom pom and knew I wanted to have some of these in time to set my 4th of July table.
After searching high and low, I couldn’t find a merchant that had them in stock for less than $15 each. So, naturally, I decided to make my own!
For under $35 I made myself a set of 12. Not bad.
(I decided to put my “savings” towards purchasing this cute new blue gingham tablecloth from Target.)
While I contemplated making the poms on my own, I was excited to discover Michaels is carrying patriotic pom pom garland this year, making my job so much simpler. A quick curbside pickup, and Amazon order of some napkin rings and I was ready.
Keep reading for the full tutorial on how to make these napkin rings and to find a full source list for the tablescape.
- 2 Strands 6ft. Red, White & Blue Pom Pom Garland (Two strands will make 12 napkin rings, one will make 6)
- Jute Rope
- Jute Napkin Rings (The ones I used appear to be sold out but I almost got these Jute Napkin Rings and they would work well too!)
- Scissors (my favorites are Fiskars No.8 Premier Easy Action Bent Scissors)
How to Make the Napkin Rings
Cut your garland so that you have three poms – one of each color. Also cut a 4” strand of jute.
Snake the two strands that connect the three poms and loop them over your finger as shown in the photo below.
Take the jute string and tie the two loops together in a knot.
Once you have the loops tied together, cut the strings off the other ends of the balls as close to the pom as you can.
Next, twist the poms until the strings are hidden and the poms are tight together.
Tie the pom bunch to your napkin ring in a knot, and trim off any extra jute.
Repeat 6 or 12 times, depending on how many napkin rings you are making.
Pair with festive napkins and set your table!
Shop the Tablescape
I tried to link all the things I used to set this table, but some are old or out of stock, so I included links to similar items.
- Table Cloth – Threshold™ Check Tablecloth Blue
- Placemats – The ones I have are very old from Home Goods, but here are very similar ones on Amazon: Water Hyacinth Weave Placemats.
- Chargers – My Galvanized Chargers are from Michaels, but are sold out. These from Amazon or these from Pottery Barn are similar.
- Plates – Pottery Barn Caterer’s Dinner Plates
- Napkins – My mom sewed these and we used them at our wedding! The fabric is from JoAnn’s. I also have these Cotton Craft gingham napkins in red from Amazon which would also look cute!
- Silverware – Oneida Dover Flatware
- Water Glasses – Pottery Barn 8″ Cafe Glassware Goblet
- Wine Glasses – Crate & Barrel Tour Red Wine Glass
- Name Cards – I created these using White Octagon Ceramic Tile from Home Depot and cutting out names in red vinyl from my Silhouette.